In a message dated 2/12/07 3:59:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Delft, The
> Netherlands, to make a historical correct costume for Prins Maurits in the
> period 1595-1610. In that time he was the military leader of The Netherlands
> (more or less. We were at war and the borders were very different from
> today).
> To make this costume realy historical correct, my friend needs some
> historical
> correct lace. And she asked me to make it. For money! Not much, arround
> minimum wage, but I'm not complaining. Now I need a pattern. So my question
> you is, who has, or knows of, a nice simple pattern that is correct for the
> period 1595-1610. I need about 0,5 meters of 1,5 cm wide. The portret on
> which
> the costume will be based shows a dainty little braided lace. But it is not
> clear enough to see precicely what the lace looks like. It seems to be
> little
> points, something like 9 pin edge. Is that correct for the time? It doesn't
> have to be dutch lace. Although we were at war with half of europe at one
> time
> or another around 1600, there was enough trade going on as well in the more
> peacefull years in between.
-------------------
Dear Nelleke,

One resource you might consult is:

"Christian IV and Bobbin Lace (with Bobbin lace patterns from the 1600s and
1900s"
It may be listed as by Katia Johansen
Printed in Denmark in 2001
ISBN 87-988400-0-2
Copyright held by Foreningen Knipling i Danmark, Postboks 94, 6270 Tonder,
Denmark
Cost $78 in 2002

This book contains files of "Kniplebrevet" and The Danish Lace Association.
Check with your national lace guild to see if they have a copy, or perhaps the
Rijksmuseum's lace curator has it in a reference library.  In fact, the
Rijksmuseum's lace curator may be very helpful to you, considering the nature
of
the project you are undertaking and the fact they house laces and portraits of
the period you are interested in recreating.

The book is about the laces of Christian IV and Denmark 1577-1648.  The
Danish monarchy was a major European power in 1596, when Christian ascended the
throne.  The book is a hardcover, with color photos, color-coded prickings, and
descriptions.  For the larger prickings there is a separate large folio.  In
the folio is a full-size pattern for making a falling collar, to which lace
would be attached.

There is text about the history of the time, development of lace in this
King's reign, how lace was used in the early 1600's, the lace collection at
Rosenborg Castle, a catalogue of items still available for examination
(includes
measurements of the King's clothing - cap, undercap, shirt, handkerchief,
collar
and cuff), conservation done in 1985, descriptions of other items at
Rosenborg, and reproductions of portraits of the time.  The text says the King
seems to
have purchased lace both in Schleswig and on *Zealand* and from foreign
merchants.

This is one of my favorite books, because it has so much about lace for men
(though women's laces are also included).  It is the same time period as
Elizabeth I and Anne of Denmark (the Queen after Elizabeth I, and this King's
sister).

No doubt, some members of Arachne contributed their skills to this book.
Vibeke Ervo is credited for her reconstruction of a lace on page 97, for
example.

A "must have" for those who love lace history!

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center