In a message dated 2/5/07 9:18:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> One of my first lace book purchases was Ann Collier's Lace in
> Miniature because my major hobby is porcelain doll making.  In fact,
> I had my first experience with bobbin lace when Gunvor conducted a
> day long beginners seminar for members of my doll club.
----------
Dear Sue in New Jersey and others making lace for dolls or small mannequins,

Hope you know about this book:

"Les Petites Dames de Mode - An Adventure in Design"
By John R. Burbidge
Reverie Publishing Company, 2004
ISBN 1-932485-06-6
List price $45, 144 pages, Hardback

While waiting to be shipped home from Paris at the end of World War 2,
Burbidge visited an exhibit called Theatre de la Mode that had just opened at
the
Grand Gallery of the Pavilion Marsan in the Louvre.  There were nearly 300
27-inch mannequins dressed by the leading Parisian couturiers, meant to show
that
despite the war, Paris couture was still able to create.  From this exhibit,
came much of his inspiration.

Mr. Burbidge studied at the New England School of Art and Design, then became
a bridal designer with Priscilla of Boston for the next 40 years.  In the
late 1970's he began to recreate period costumes to clothe 29-inch mannequins.
He has created 63 dresses for over 50 fashion dolls.  These have been exhibited
in museums throughout the U.S.

Not a how-to book,  but a truly lovely book that proves such things as tiny
fans can be made.  Many mannequins have perfect miniature gloves, parasols,
hats and fans.  A lot of miniature-scale laces for accessories, undergarments,
and gowns are displayed on these small figures.  The laces are always in
perfect
scale, often antique.  He has found that old laces seem to age much better
than fabrics, especially silk.

A stunning accomplishment!  A stunning book!

Mr. Burbidge, now in his 90's, was a speaker at last year's Costume Society
of America symposium, which I attended.  I did not think this of interest to
Arachnes, but maybe it is?

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center