Some of these bobbins look like those the Joan Kelly in England used to
sell.  She produced a lot of Torchon patterns for sale but also sold Bobbins
with transfers on them.  She would have pretty little picture transfers,
things like little fairies, wild flower sprays, or Beatrix Potter type
animals, that sort of thing, in sort of muted colours making them look a
little like something from Victorian times. These she transferred onto
fairly plain bobbins that I think she must have bought ready made. I believe they have
a clear matte varnish over the shank of the bobbins to protect the
transferred design, mine are well used but the picture is still in tact.
I bought one or two when Joan Kelly was at the OIDFA
conference here in Barcelona in 1994 they are quite pretty.

I see that others have pointed out that Transfers are Decals and that will be what Joan Kelly used on the bobbins, I am fairly sure that those on E.bay are probably from Joan Kelly the bobbin shape looks like the ones I have from her.

regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.

<<But - on the off-chance that I've missed a lacemaking term... does anyone
know what this means???
The seller refers to the bobbins for sale, saying that "Some of the
transfers on these bobbins are worn".  So what is a transfer???  Link
below.>>