Last Saturday, at Poole Bobbin Lace Circle meeting, Thelma Johns, an expert
on Dorset buttons gave us a talk on their history and a demonstration of
their construction. We also had a chance to have a go at making one.

She didn't mention Bird's eye buttons, but searching for more information on Dorset buttons, I came on the following site, which has books and kits for sale for these buttons. The 'Fact File' is described as "A5 size booklet with 16 pages. Containing detailed instructions for making:-Crosswheels, Crosswheel variations, Beaded crosswheels, High tops and Dorset Knobs, Bird's eyes - two methods, Singletons, Sea-urchin buttons.
Two pages of colour photographs".

Cost GBP6.00 inc postage within the UK GBP7.00 inc postage outside the UK.

She takes Paypal.

http://www.s105325101.websitehome.co.uk/

I know nothing more than that, but I'm going to order a copy and the "Buttons, Buttons" booklet.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK