Hello one and all
Further to what Janice was saying about dowels. A lacemaker at a laceday I was at recently had bobbins made out of thickish dowelling. Her husband had turned the necks I believe it was. The lady in question was doing a picture with different yarns of many thicknesses. She had them in bundles all over the pillow. Quite impressive.
Maybe Sue from Norfolk can add more to this thread.

Daphne sunny chilly Norfolk