Dear Spiders
This a sort of partial defence of the UK kit that has a foam cylinder and some nasty nylon fabric to cover it with. I bought a kit, from House of Crafts I think, and a Dryad kit from ebay because I wanted to learn to make lace. I couldn't make any sense of the instructions to set up the cylinder in the box to make a roller and the polystyrene foam hardly held the pins but the Dryad instructions left me with a couple of inches of scrappy grey bandage and no encouragement. The kit that sounds like the UK version you describe had good working instructions and, wow!, coloured threads so I combined the Dryad pillow with it and had a jolly bookmark and a card topper in hardly any time at all. I know there are some what ifs in that story and you wouldn't buy 2 kits new, there is definitely a need for a decent starter kit out there, but here I am making lace and loving it! I love reading the all the good advice and faithfully follow the links to the pictures even tho' I stay pretty quiet. Thankyou Spiders!
Janet, Shropshire UK in a glorious English spring