Does anyone on our international list know about Sea Silk?

PieceWork editors are looking for information about sea silk, or byssus -- a silky filament secreted by certain bivalve mollusks to attach themselves to rocks or other substrates, perhaps near Spain. There is an interest in learning more about this unique silk, said to have been used for embroidery in medieval times. I will be happy to pass information, book titles, etc. to one of
the editors, who lives here in Maine.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center.
In May 2005, at the Italia Invita meeting in Rimini, Italy, there was a man with his daughter showing the sea silk and they came from Sardinia like you said, Bev. You could certainly get more information from Italia Invita at:http://www.italiainvita.it/uk/forum2007/2007.shtml

Nicole in Kirkland, Qc