Hello lacemakers,

I thought this subject was very interesting, and went on the web for a quick search - finding a little bit of write-up at:

http://www.verwoodheritage.net/crafts_-_buttons.htm

I do not know if it will answer all your questions - but I was intrigued with the descriptions and also to learn that we will have some descendants of the 'buttoners' here in Canada too.

Quoted as follows:

<<A bitter blow struck the buttoners in 1850 when Ashton's patent button machine was exhibited at the Great London Exhibition. in 1851 the cottage industry was at an end bringing poverty and starvation to the families of the buttoners. It is said that as the result of this some three hundred and fifty families from Shaftesbury alone were shipped to the colonies at the Government's expense, some to Canada and others to Australia .>>

And on the making of the buttons:

<<The secret of making high-tops and knobs has never been solved, but the buttons made on wire rings are the types which are being revived. To make one of these buttons, the ring is held in the left hand and "casting" done by button-holing closely all round the ring, sewing over the loose end at the beginning. The button-holed ridge is then turned inside by pushing with the thumb, this was dune originally with a boned instrument called a "slicker" until it was found that this weakened the threads. When "laying" the spokes of the wheel, the thread must be kept taut to hold the spokes in place, these are secured by a cross-stitch at the hub centre. The button can then be ''rounded" in many designs e.g. cross-wheel; basket weave etc., I have been told that it is useful to leave one or two threads at the button back with which to sew the button onto the garment>>

And at this website you will find a description with diagrams, of making a button - the diagrams show the *laying* of the spokes going outside, around the ring.

http://www.s126158928.websitehome.co.uk/Dorset%20Buttons.pdf

Nova (writing from Canada's west coast, and 'all thumbs'  with a needle!)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Regina Haring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I've just finished reading a new book by Tracy Chevalier titled "Burning
Bright" and button makers from Dorset are mentioned.

In one place the author talks about "wrapping the thread" around the ring
while in another she mentions that blanket stitch is used. It seems to me it would have to be blanket stitch. Anne Kellaway says "Then I wrap the thread across the ring to make spokes for the wheel, and then backstitch round and round each spoke, so the thread fills in the space. At the end I gather it in
the center with a stitch, and there be your button".

From: JanM in Brisbane
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Reference to wrapping and blanket stitch is correct.
In Dorset Button making both blanket stitch and wrapping are used - first
the ring is buttonholed all round and then the spokes are wrapped around the
ring before they are backstitched or woven to form the centre.

From Helen:
Yes, I well remember them falling to pieces when I made a Dorset
button years ago at a Brownie Day.  I imagine it was a crosswheel
http://www.dorsetbuttons.co.uk .  For some history, see this page -
<http://tinyurl>http://tinyurl.com/35ehg5