Having just finished scanning William Felkin's great book on the
machine lace industry, I now am an expert!  Well, at least I know
what the word "bobbinet" refers to.  It is the name used for nets
made on a machine. The first one was made by Heathcoat in 1808 and
improved over the 19th century.  A very nice reference can be found
in Pat Earnshaw's A Dictionary of Lace. It is in other identification
books, too, but I'm too lazy to get them all out.

  The Felkin book can be found on the Prof's website at    <http://
www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/books.html#F>
or <http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/lace.html#books>
Felkin, William. A History of the Machine-Wrought Hosiery and Lace
Manufacturers, Burt Franklin, New York, 1967, 608 pages. Posted April
18, 2007. SAMPLE PAGE. REVIEW. Part 1: File size 10.1 MB PDF. Part 2:
File size 12.5 MB PDF. Part 3: File size 11.9 MB PDF.

I'm not sure how far we have gotten on CD #7, but I have an idea that
we are filling it up pretty fast.  I'm working on assembling some of
the old embroidery books I have around the house and they will be
added to the CD if it seems appropriate.  But there are still lots of
lace books to work on!

Tess ([EMAIL PROTECTED])