Clay

From: Aurelia Loveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Dear Barbara -- You have had so many replies to your question about
 replacing the spangles on your old bobbins, that one more reply isn't
 going make a difference, but here goes: when I started lacemaking in
 the very early seventies (oh how long ago that seems!), I used to hop
 over to England for lessons every chance I got. At that time
 "antique" bobbins, mostly amateur-made and not always remarkable for
 their workmanship, were all about, and easy and cheap to buy. I
 bought a whole cigarboxful, one afternoon, without a blink. Nobody
 got sentimental about them, nor talked of their "history." The
 bobbins that caught our fancy and our pocketbooks were the elegant
 and beautiful new bobbins made by a few gifted craftsmen (as, David
 Springett, just then beginning his distinguished career). The
 spangles (on the Springett bobbins, done by Christine) were utter
 perfection, their size carefully chosen and graduated aiming for the
 central bead at the bottom -- because -- fundamentally the spangles
 were not primarily decorative but had a function. They weighted the
 bobbin down on the pillow and thus controlled the tension on the
 thread. Admittedly a lot of antique bobbins got their weight via
 buttons and assorted junk, but a determined lacemaker wouldn't let
 that stop her. Still, history it's not. Of course, Barbara dear,
 replace the wire, clean the beads, arrange them for size, and if
 they're ugly or clumsy ... what history?

 Aurelia
 Catonsville, MD

 >Here's a question about antique bobbins and spangles: Over the years, I've
 >accumulated (mostly on eBay) a few antique bone bobbins. They are 19th
 >century, some by unknown makers, a few are by well-known makers (Bobbin
 >Brown, etc.). Some of the spangles contain the original antique beads.
 >
 >I am inclined to want to use them, rather than just put them in a display
 > >case. In some cases, the spangles are big and bulky, in some cases, the
 >wires holding the spangles are in danger of coming apart.
 >
 >Is it blasphemy to take the spangles apart, replace the wire in some,
 >completely junk the spangles in some, and selectively rearrange and
 >redistribute beads, and in some cases, put completey new beads on them?
 >
 >I find it difficult to make lace with big, floppy spangles. I want to use
 >the bobbins, but don't want to destroy a bit of history.
 >
 >What do you think?
 & gt;