Whenever I photocopy a pattern I will lay one on top of the other and hold it up to the light, that way I can see if they are identical or different in some way

The first good bedfordshire piece was terrible trying to match 4 copies together to get a full square, but they were very early days for me and patterns. I have no idea where my teacher got that particular piece from, I have never seen that exact one since, some similar but not identical.

Also using our scanner and then printI have noticed that if you take a number of copies one and a time it would reduce by 1% each time (no idea why), it does seem to be as Tamara said, 98 is the best for identical copy and I just make sure these days that I check that out. It seems better on straight copy.
Sue T
Dorset UK

I bought an Elizabeth Burgess pattern - a round mat - very recently, and it had just one-third of the pattern on the sheet - it had to be photocopied three times, and the bits stuck together, to make the pricking. The scanning and copying was easy, but the fitting together was most definitely not, as I think the copying distorted the pricking - only very slightly, but enough to be a nuisance when putting the three peices together!

It might have been the fault of the copier/scanner, but then... it might not have been :)

In the past, when I've had problems piecing such "broken" patterns, I tried copying by hand. And found that the mis-match was buried deeper; it probably occured when the book was printed. In eiter case, the starting dots did not align properly with the beginning dots and the join had to be fudged.