Nowadays, you can't trust any dark colour until you've tried washing it to see if the colour will run or not. Marks & Spencer used to be very reliable in selling quality clothing with stable dyes, and were known for selling good quality British-made clothing. DH bought two pairs of shorts from them earlier this year. Both lost colour in washing (fortunately I tried them first by hand), and both have faded in the sun at the front. Problem is that even Marks & Spencer is having its goods made in Sri Lanka (and presumably other Asian countries) now - cheaper to make and obviously inferior fabrics - because their profits were falling as shoppers seem to be going for price over quality.

Personally, I don't see the connection between being cheap and fixing the dye - it can't add to the cost by any significant amount.

There are very few fabric shops about now, and when I couldn't find one selling plain mid/dark blue, green or burgundy, I bought a good quality coloured bed sheet to cut up. That didn't run and made several dressing and cover clothes as well as a couple of elasticated pillow covers.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK