In a message dated 7/22/07 6:10:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Re - wine stains, I think I read somewhere that if you put white wine on
> a red wine spill it dilutes it but it seems an awful waste of wine to
> me.
> --------------------
Dear Lacemakers,

Yes, I have heard the white wine-on-red wine works.  Maybe clear apple
vinegar would work also.  But - you must wash out the wine, whichever color -
as
soon as possible.  Best not to let it dry, which sets the stain.

In conservation, we see wedding gowns with brown stains - from white wine
spills.  They are not visible when the spill occurs, and if a cleaner is not
told
exactly where they are, they may not be fully removed during cleaning.
Stains show up later, when it is too late to remedy the situation.    Some
modern
brides,   who have chosen a heirloom gown for the church service, now buy a
gown more suited for dancing and "accidents" for the reception.  Something for
all to remember!

The other brown stains we see a lot are from milk.  It does not show on, say,
a heirloom christening gown.  If the gown is not washed to remove it, it will
show up later.  All christening gowns should be washed after use, even if
they "look" clean.  Rinsed in distilled water.    No starch, which can oxidize.

Store the christening gown un-ironed, because ironing adds wear and tear.  It
will be rewashed, perhaps starched, then ironed, for the next infant in the
family.    Textile conservation students are taught to recognize milk stains,
which can also appear on clothing worn by a nursing mother.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center..