Tamara writes:
Don't know how this -- what looks like a part of a private
correspondence -- wound its way onto Arachne, but I find the subject
fascinating and am grateful for the mysteries of the e-space which made
it public :)

To explain, Aurelia sent me an email that, in retrospect, I think she
intended for the list. I hope I do not violate e etiquette when I quote  it.

"Dear Devon --  What qualifies as "modern" lace, would you say? I
don't use existing patterns, I make my own -- is that "modern?" All
the  lace I have made over the past seven years is 21stCentury lace
--  is  that "modern?" Then there is that woman in Belgium with the
funny name  (can't think what it is, at the moment) who has been
working very hard over  the last 25 years or so to acquaint the world
with "contemporary" lace.  (Hideous stuff, to my mind) Does that
qualifu? I'd love to read an expanded  piece by you on the topic.  --
Aurelia"

My response, was more or less the following.

"I guess I would have to expand my thoughts to write such a piece. I hadn't
really given it much thought. I guess I am trying to distinguish the antique
lace we buy, from something with 20th and 21st century eye-appeal. I  suppose
a traditional Bucks pattern made now, even designed now, would not fit  my
idea of modern.

I actually tend  think of the Weiner Werkstatte type lace as "modern".  The
term "contemporary" has been used to apply to very experimental type lace. I
even find myself, now, thinking about how our image of contemporary lace
actually brings to mind lace being made in the 1970's and that that was
different
in style from the lace actually being made now by those edgy  lacemakers who
all seem to reside in Europe.

Is your work modern, or are the appropriate terms "timeless" or classic?  Now
that we have conquered the terminology question about what a whole stitch
is, perhaps we should take this one up.

As perhaps you may recall, the Campaign for Modern Lace was conceived to
encourage people to send me free modern lace gifts which I would then wear  to
fancy places in the hope of inspiring the art buying public into embracing  new
style lace to provide a boost for new style lacemakers. I wore a wire  lace
piece to the Christmas Revels in New York, the year before last, not
admittedly
the place where well-heeled art lovers hang out, but none the less, a  sort
of odd ball bohemian/folk atmosphere. This year there was another woman  there
wearing something that looked a lot like wire lace and many remarks from  my
party indicated that headway was slow, but possibly not non-existent.
Actually, I exhibited a jewelry box of the wire work of Susan Lambiris, Tamara,

myself and Debra Jenny at the lacemaking demonstration at the Museum of Arts
and
Design, formerly the American Craft Museum. It was very well received by the
public who attended the event, many of whom were fiber and other artists.  The
head of the docent program and the education program suggested that we  should
be contacting the Museum to sell it there. However, I don't think my work  is
"finished" looking enough, and there isn't much of it. Susan Lambiris cannot
seem to assemble enough pieces to submit as a "line" to a gallery such as
Julie's, because she keeps selling them personally and working on commission.
So, even if I inspired a panic to own wire and modern lace, there doesn't seem
to be a supply.

I am a member of the Textile Study Group of New York and they actually
rented a gallery to show the work of their members who had not yet hit it big.
didn't enter anything. However, when I saw the quality of the other entries, I
could have kicked myself, because my work was probably no worse. Let's see if
 they do it again.

I consider Jane Atkinson's work to be contemporary. Your remarks  make me
realize that I should probably develop some explanation for these  designations
instead of just throwing around terms I am unable to properly  define.

What are your thoughts on contemporary, vs. modern, and whether your work  is
aptly described as either?"

Then Aurelia sent her very thoughtful response to the list as a whole- and
that is where the conversation took off.

Does anyone else have anything to offer about what "modern lace" is? Or
contemporary lace? It is a good question.

Devon