Aurelia wrote:
/OK, we might have to stop fretting about the definition of "modern/contemporary" and start to fret about a definition of lace/

Personal taste will always play a big part in choosing lace pieces, and personal taste is changeable. I was reading something on an art gallery's website yesterday where they were lamenting the decision not to purchase a piece of art when they had the chance because the piece was later considered to be great art.
I have had my own opinion changed when it comes to lace many times.

The first time came after reading an article in the May/June 1986 issue of the IOLI bulletin about Robin Lewis and a piece of lace she was commisioned to make for the Tennesee Valley Authority. It is a torchon design, but fine it is not!! To give you an idea of the size, the article says that there were three panels (each one like a rectangle bookmark)and each one measured 8 feet wide by 32 feet high. She used huge threads that were made for her for this project, and a pillow that was a 12 foot by 12 foot table with reels for the threads held in bins below the table. She had to borrow a crane from nearby to hold each piece up just to see how it would hang! (This picture is in the article) When I first read this article, I remember thinking rather smugly that this was not really what I would call lace. Not really lace at all...but then I saw the back cover of the March April 1987 issue. What an amazing accomplishment!! When these pieces were hung in the location they were designed for, well, you'd better find another way to get oxygen into your body because your breath would have to be taken away. There is the appearance of fineness, the recognizable torchon design, the gimp outlines and ..... tallies!! Lots of tallies!! Lace it has to be...and anything but fine. Still, absolutely beautiful. But, as I said, it is also in the setting for which it was designed. Hanging on a wall in someone's home, or laying across a dining table, it would not be as stunning as it is in its own place.

I am not sure that the phrase"modern" or "contemporary" needs to be an issue. By my understanding, modern art is art that was produced during the early to late 1900's, and contemporary art is a reference to art being made now.

The whole idea of a lace gallery fascinates me as well as others I am sure! Don't let it fall by the wayside! Don't let hairsplitting slow it down. Remember great pieces of art are going other places while galleries hairsplit!!

Debbie in Florida