In a message dated 9/23/07 10:52:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:
> The petals in this flower look like the trademark fish symbol built into
> Halas
> laces. WHat an interesting and unusual piece of Halas Needlelace!
> 150162952891
> Kate Henry
> Indiana USA

------------
Dear Kate,  I have one of thes 3-D wired lace flowers from Kiskunhalas.  The
3 crossed fish symbol is not worked into any of the petals.  It is an
exception to the usual - that all Halas laces made in Kiskunhalas contain the
trademark.

A similar flower, but with two layers and a total of 10 petals appears on
page 234 of the book "Halasi Csipke" or "Halas Lace" or "Halaser Spitze" - one
book, a three language title.  My flower was made by a lacemaker pictured in
the
book, now retired.  It was my honor to be invited to her home for lunch - a
lovely memory.

People who do not know much about Halas lace should know that it is still
made, and it is expensive per square inch.  The lacemaker who made my lace has
been known to take the train to Budapest to deliver tiny laces.  There has been
history of mailed laces in envelopes from Kiskunhalas disappearing.  It is a
slow local train, and would take a day for the round trip.

Oh!  What a lacemaker and a collector will do for lace!

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center