I may be wrong but I had a feeling that some while ago IOLI 'asked
permission' and did anyone mind if they put the reminders onto Arachne, as it
potentially can save them quite a lot of money in posted reminders, meaning
that either
they can keep memberships fees lower or have more money available for other
lace related projects.

It is such a small item compared to the total input to Arachne, and is very
useful if your renewal is due.  I don't think it will start a rush of similar
postings as most groups have a fixed date for renewals which are much easier to
handle as the reminder can go into the appropriate issue of a magazine.
IOLI and the UK Lace Circle are the only two I know of which renew depending on
when you join.

IOLI is a big organisation with a substantial international membership - I
don't think we will ever get the small, local groups (which is presumably who
you are thinking of in your phrase 'untold numbers') wanting to send out
reminders in this way as it is not appropriate to the way the group would be
run.

If your objection is that you are paying to download this information which
you personally aren't interested in, then a better target to reduce download
time would be to remind people to cut off irrelevent repeat posts which
sometimes (often!) fill more of a digest than the actual posts.  Once this
reminder is
downloaded you can just scroll past it as the heading is quite clearly saying
what it is.

There are lots of things that come onto Arachne that I would ignore/delete;
an example that springs to mind is "I'm looking for....."  That post is only of
interest to maybe one or two people but is still important to the person that
sent it and possibly to the person it's aimed at.  But there are quite a few
of those over the year.  Another would be an ad for a lace day, often in
another country which I obviously am not going to go to.  But they are still
important to the organisers and for potential attendees, and again quite a lot
of
them.

Surely we can tolerate things on Arachne that aren't of interest to us
personally, because on the whole the posts are interesting, thought provoking,
educational and often entertaining.  And you're not obliged to read it all :-)

Jacquie in Lincolnshire, England