The Malta Lm is Maltese Liri - but we will be changing to Euros on the 1st
January 2008 - Yippee!
Karen in Malta

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Laurie Waters
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:31 PM
To: nicky.h-townsend; arachne
Cc: Laurie Waters
Subject: [!! SPAM] [lace] lace exhibition - query re: coins & medals

Hi Nicky,
Wish you could come! Santa Fe is quite festive around Christmas.
There are quite a few things available for collectors.
Belgium and France (Le Puy, specifically) both issued paper money with
engravings of lacemakers. Malta issued a 5 Lm (no sure what currency that
is) silver coin showing a lacemaker in 1984 commerating the United Nations
Decade for Women.
Commerative medals have been issued by several companies - there is a large
and a small one from Alencon, one from Le Puy, and one issued in the 1930's
by the French artist Cochet. The Franklin Mint issued a silver medal of
Vermeer's The Lacemaker in 1974.  There are a few others, but these are the
main ones.
Then there are the English lace tokens. They were issued by either private
businesses or local towns when legal coinage ran short. There were basically
two periods when this was done, one in the late 17th century, one in the
19th century.  Thomas Wright's The Romance of the Lace Pillow has a good
listing of these.
I have examples of all of these in the exhibition.
Laurie