Hello,

I visited Vologda in 1991 with a group of german lacemakers and we were guests of the co-op ' Sneshinka' (Snowflake).I was the only canadian in the group. Vologda, being in a restricted area, you had to be invited to have the permission to travel there. We took the train from St-Petersburg (then Leningrad) to Vologda.

The museum, from which we see a few pieces in the film, was new and everything very well exhibited: panels, curtains, dresses,etc. Really marvelous pieces! The large working rooms were very well-lit, the lacemakers very friendly despite the language barrier. After a tea from the samovar with special deserts shared with the russian lacemakers, we assisted to a fashion show of their production: shawls, collars, boleros and capes of all kinds. We were also shown the way the patterns are prepared by special designers.

I keep a very good souvenir of that trip and the little film has brought back good memories. Thank you for letting us know about it, Avital.
Best wishes,
Nicole Gauthier