Christine Springett teaches picots as follows:
- picot on the left: twist pair 5x - lay outer bobbin loosely around pin in a clockwise direction and put back in outer position - lay inner bobbin clockwise around the pin and return to inner position - twist 2x - now gently pull up both threads at the same time and they should twist inside each other - picot on right side - do everything the same, but lay bobbins around pin in anti-clockwise direction - double picot (i.e. one on either side of plait): do either the left or right picot first - cross then twist all threads - do the second picot
Works a treat.

Agnes Boddington - Elloughton UK

Could anyone please pass on any tips they may have when making Bedfordshire lace? I have begun teaching myself, with the help of some friends and some excellent books, but I am having a bit of a problem with plaits and picots, in that when I do a single picot, I sometimes get a little hole under the pin. I think I may be pulling a thread or two too tightly, as it does not always happen. Is there a simple way of avoiding this, please? Thank you in advance! Dee Palin Warwickshire