One of my students *used to* make assorted quick crafts for a local self-help
group.  One year they asked her to make them some lace, so she chose some
simple bookmark patterns that she could do in a couple of evenings and made
several.  She finished them off in a plastic sleeve with a 'hand-made lace'
sticker.

At the next class she said she'd been asked how much she should charge for
them, and would I advise her.  I said that perhaps the best thing would be to
tell them how much they had actually cost for the thread and sleeve and how
long
they had taken to make, making sure she included the time doing the prickings
and winding bobbins, and then they could decide on a price and also have the
information to explain why they cost that much.

At the next class after the sale I asked her how they had sold.  'Oh', she
said, 'they all went very quickly, but I'm not ever making anything for them
again!'  'Why not?' I asked.  'Because they sold them for 25p each, which was
less than the cost of the sleeve.  I'd rather have given them a couple of
pounds
and used that time to make lace to give to someone who would have appreciated
the work that went into it.'

And she meant every word of it.  She was so upset that she has never made
anything else for them again.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire