Dear Lacemakers,

On the cover of the most recent "New Stitches" magazine #176 from UK  to
reach Barnes and Noble bookstore, there is a Historic Lacemaker dressed in
white
bonnet, floral scarf, red/white blouse, long skirt and apron.  She  has a lace
pillow on her lap.  I would be inclined not to stitch the lace,  but to make
a narrow lace and weave it into the embroidery, with a few couching  stitches
to control how it falls, and let it hang free, after  completion of the
stitching.  I don't like the charting of the lace, and  think the real thing
might
be best option for a lacemaker.

Since some of you will be shopping in book stores in the  next few days, it
seems timely to advise you of this.  We receive this  magazine in the States
about 3 weeks after publication in the UK.

Today, the cover is still up on the website:  _www.newstitches.com_
(http://www.newstitches.com)
You may be able to get from a supplier in U.S. or other countries.   Ask via
e-mail.

Requires Zwigart beige (shade 770) 32 count (stitch over 2 threads,  16 cross
stitches per inch) Belfast linen 13 1/2" x 19".   Finished stitched area is
6.7" x 13".  Color numbers are given for Anchor,  DMC and Madeira flosses.  I
would be inclined to choose another color  linen, perhaps a light-to-medium
blue, so the bonnet shows up better.  The  chart spans 2 1/2 pages sideways,
and
is in color, with about 45 color  symbols.

I have been looking for the chart of the Lacemaker "Dorothy" interpreted
from the porcelain figure # HN 3098 manufactured by Royal Doulton,  1987.  If
anyone can help me, please write privately.

Jeri  Ames
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center