> Along the same lines, I would find it interesting, and possibly a
tie-breaker when planning how to spend my discretionary money and time,
to  know  who the  speakers were going to be at Convention and what they
were going to  speak  about. For some reason it seems to be traditional
to never announce this.
(...)  Now that we  have  the  internet, why not let people know about the
speakers? I often find  the speakers  to be the most interesting part of
the convention.

> Devon

Having been one of the speakers at IOLI in Montreal, I can tell you it
came as a huge shock to me to find out that nowhere in the written
material of the convention was my name mentioned or the title of my talk
listed. I come from an academic background and in that community, this
would have been grounds for the speaker canceling the talk. As it was, I
cried and then tried to make the best of it.

When later I realised that I was considered a volunteer and not even a
guest or equivalent to a teacher and that my talk was not even mentioned
in the reviews of the event, well, I don't feel very inclined to offer to
share my historical research anytime soon. ... More's the pity, since I
had spent over a year researching the images and information and I believe
that the talk itself (on the production of lace in New France by the
female religious orders and the lay women they trained) was rather well
done, and it had already been vetted by historians of religion at the
University of Ottawa where I teach.

Oh well, the excuse I was given by the IOLI organisers was that it was
traditional to keep the speakers a secret. Small solace ...

Lucie DuFresne
past-president
Ottawa Guild of Lacemakers
Ottawa, Canada