We are caring for one made for my DH's great aunt, about 1905. All the work except the lace is hand done. Lovely embroidery and French seams. We've been told that "all" the kids in the family have been christened in it but I wish we had a record of it's travels. To that end, when I've made gowns, I included blank books so that the history of the gown can be recorded. I also embroidered the year it was made in the hem. No, I didn't make the lace. These were commissions and there's only so much people will pay for. Be sure you use 100% cotton, including the sewing thread, polyester crumbles after a few years, and clean it soon after use. Baby spit yellows the fabric. I enjoyed making them. When you make something that is expected to last for generations after you're gone, there's a kind of immortality to it.

Cherry Knobloch
Chesapeake, Virginia USA