---- Tamara P Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As in other countries, not every lacemaker belongs to the national
group, so I guess the number of lacemakers in US is a bit bigger than
the 1265. Though, how much bigger, I have no idea.-----

I would say the number is *considerably* larger than the IOLI membership.  Of
the few guilds that I know personally, only about 10-15% are members of IOLI.
If my experience is reasonably average, then there would be 7-10 times as many
lacemakers in guilds in the US as the IOLI membership. or 9-12,000.  And that
doesn't include the lacemakers who are not in guilds.  In that case, 10,000 is
a perfectly reasonable number for US lacemakers.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA