On Apr 19, 2008, at 8:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The first time I met Tamara Duvall, (about two months after I started making lace) I was delighted to learn that she had also done miniature work BL (Before Lace).

Actually... I had gone through a lot of textile-related handcrafts - in "normal" size and scale -- before I met Clay; teaching English as a foreign language -- the job I was trained to do -- was not an option in our little town :)

I used to make all of my own clothes as well as most of my son's and some of my stepdaughter's and husband's. *That* was probably genetic inheritance from my maternal side; my Mother's father was a tailor by profession and she had been apprenticed to a dressmaker as a child, before ending up in a textile factory as a teenager.

But I also knitted (learnt from my Mother), crocheted (learnt at a party, where everyone -- but my hostess and I -- was playing bridge), had a brief love affair with needlepoint and counted cross-stitch, had stab at embroidery (and was really bad at it), at quilting and at rug-knotting (various methods). By the time Clay and I met, I didn't even mention all of those other dead-end roads I had taken in distant past :) I had scaled down the lot -- to 1:12 (miniature) size, because I was bored. And I dropped even that, when I discovered BOBBIN LACE (oooh!)...

I'll be curious to hear what others do in addition to their lacemaking!

How y'all find the time *to* do anything else is beyond me; somehow, there never seems to be enough time to do everything I want to do, even when I concentrate on just this one little corner of the Textile Kingdom... Of course, I suppose I could stop reading the newspapers and my "lefty blogs" and make time that way, but since I have an obsessive personality anyway, focusing on just one thing (lace) might not be very healthy for me :)
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/