Clay, if I'd been allergic to thread, this discussion might not be taking place...

I was never one destined to be very artistic, I'm afraid. Not that I didn't love artisitc things...I just tend to be too impatient. I remember mom trying to get me to do paint by numbers...and I never agreed with the colors or the boundaries that were set by the original artist!! I liked it much better when I could just use the colors I wanted...I still remember wondering why black was supposed to be used in that spot and not red! My mother was a fantastic seamstress (with 4 daughters and a husband who dealt in wholesale dry goods, she almost had to be), but I wanted to do my own thing with patterns. When I tried my first dress, the dart ended up sewn into the sleeve, so that was the end of that! My only true accomplishment had been an oversized handbag with handmade patchwork squares (this was in the late 60's early 70's) I was not a typical rebel even as a teen, but a proud daughter of a WWII veteran who found the patchwork purse matched his army jacket quite well and wore them together to school quite often.

I did some crochet, some knitting, some embroidery, some ceramics, enough to make a few gifts but before too long, I would always lose interest; start something new, and drop it shortly after. Then I took up lacemaking, and now, when I feel a need to try something different, I just get out a new pattern! For some reason, using someone else's patterns has not discouraged me...I do make alterations now and then, and have tried my hand at a few designs, but I have more patterns than I could ever finish in this life, so I honestly can't see that I will ever be bored...tired of working Torchon? Try Beds...Bucks....Honiton...the possibilities go on and on! The list is endless!! ... It is a wonderful multifaceted obsession!

I started making lace in the fall of 1983...so this fall will my 25th anniversay of being under its allure!! Not too bad with my history...

Debbie in Florida