Hello Angela and everyone
Makes complete sense. After an illness, I enjoyed making the Christine
Springett snake, with colours and metallics. I made it all in CTC the first
time, then another go, gaining confidence, made a half-stitch bit down the
centre.  Soothing, and rewarding.
My free advice is to choose a pattern that has step by step instructions
and/or a clear working diagram. If you need a purpose for your lace, and you
have chosen an edging, make a length just long enough to tie around a small
vase. A Christmas ornament might be a good re-entry project, too.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes.

--
Bev (near Sooke, BC on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)