Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. It helps to know others
have been in the same boat and "got out of it" so to speak :)

Dianne, it would be wonderful if you can find the details of groups nearer
to me, as I don't drive and would need to rely on DH or public transport if
I can manage it. Thank you for the trouble you have gone to.

I thought possibly of trying a simple repeating Beds pattern. "Running river

Was one of the first pieces of lace I ever did, I made a handkerchief but
later gave it away. I have a pattern for it with very detailed diagrams and
instructions, but hope you don't mind if I shout help if I get stuck.

Angela Simpson.

Newton-Le-Willows, Merseyside, England.