  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: lace@arachne.com
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 10:01 AM
  Subject: [lace] PieceWork magazine - May/June 2008 Lace Issue

  Dear Lacemakers, Collectors, Researchers,

  In the U.S., we have been waiting for this issue to come.  It is now  in
  mailboxes, and possibly in stores.

  Table of Contents are:

  1. How Did They Do That?  (Double half stitch - macrame?  Cavandoli?)
  Includes brief illustrated instructions.

  2. Russian Lace Scarf to Knit by Galina A. Khmeleva (picture on cover of
  magazine).  With instructions.

  3. Doily to Filet Crochet based on a Mary Card pattern.  With
instructions.

  4. Nicolaides Shuttles & a Ruffled Edging to Tat by Mary  Nicolaides.  With
  instructions.  Collectors: If you have old shuttles  with two posts, read
this.

  5. Esther Oldham: Collector of Fans and Lace Extraordinaire (Collection of
  the Wellesley Massachusetts Historical Society).
  _www.wellesleyhistoricalsociety.org_
(http://www.wellesleyhistoricalsociety.org)     The best of Oldham's
  fan collection was donated to Museum of Fine Arts -  Boston.  All the rest
was
  donated to historical society, which is  raising funds to conserve this lace
  collection (photos of laces laid on  construction paper with plastic cover
  sheets gives confirmation as to need for  conservation).  Researchers,
please take
  note of this collection and two  locations..

  6. Lace Fan to Knit instructions & Knitted Lace Fans by Deborah  Robinson of
  U.K.  Article has interesting commentary on fan sticks.

  7. Many Lives of Old Lace article by Elizabeth Kurella and a simple  Lace
  Bridal Purse to Make (uses old handkerchief corner) by Suzanne  Rosser.
With
  instructions.

  8. Lace Socks to Knit by Ann Budd.  With instructions.

  9. Lacemaking in Ipswich Massachusetts article by Karen H. Thompson.   With
  pricking and instructions.

  On the Web (not in magazine) PieceWork has added 2 entries.   I recommend
  PieceWork site for many free patterns:

  1. Buttons to Embroider and Needle-Tat by Christen Brown.  Suggest you  copy
  and put with information you have about lace buttons.
  pieceworkmagazine.com/go/projects/embroideredtattedbuttons.asp

  2. Textile Travels: Part I by Gwen Blakley Kinsler, founder of Crochet
Guild
  of America - textile treasures collected in Honduras and  Guatemala.  I
  copied and placed in Arachnid Angela  Thompson's 2006 book "Textiles of
Central and
  South America".  More to  come in future months.
  pieceworkmagazine.com/go/articles/textiletravels1.asp

  Jeri  Ames
  Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

  listings at AOL Autos.