I too taught myself to tat, from several books, years ago. What I found very difficult to grasp was how the knot turns over. Once I had finally understood that process I realised that learning to make a chain with two colours would have been the most logical first step followed the ring which is what all those books started with - presumably on the mistaken theory that working with one ball of thread is easier than two!

There's a video clip of tatting a ring at
http://www.gagechek.com/slb/demo/demo.html

However, once I'd learned how to do tatting I lost interest. If I want something more portable than a BL pillow I choose knitting or crochet. I went to Canterbury Lace Day yesterday and there wasn't enough table space for everyone to use pillows so I bought a Presencia scarf kit which I could work on and chat at the same time. I finished the knitting yesterday evening and am wearing the scarf now! I also have a short length of the textured yarn for experimental BL use.

Brenda