I am looking at some of my older lace and embroidery books and many of the
oldest among them do not have copyright dates (or any other date) printed in
them.

For the most part, these are cheap paper editions that physically resemble
other books I that I know were printed between ca 1880 and ca 1920 in
France. One is printed on shiny white paper, so I assume that it is more
recent. A couple of these books were produced by thread companies (with
lovely gage charts in the back), others by religious Orders. I haven't
looked at all of them yet and I've looked closely at only one or two.

My question: If there is no date printed in the book, how can I exercise due
diligence to determine if it is still in copyright?

Thank you,
Sr Claire