Dear Mrs Sally,

please do not compare the products used for weaving  towards lace.
The reason way is that in weaving you have a lot of fibres and such possible attachement fibres for making the products kling to it in lace you have almost no cloth, you create openings rather then weaved colsures.
So what is used in profs...
the same as is used for 100dres of years
WATERBASE:
sugar
cornflower
patatoflower

ALCOHOLBASE:
Shellack
or other Pinethree based GUM
and thraditional GUMMA arabica
(the shellack and gumma you will find mostly in silk thulle like products
like it is mostly sold for bridalwear , here yo can mostly clean and only gradualy it will loos stability)

Buthylalcohol bases
and these are the extra strong ones but also the extra dangerous ones
because buthylalcohol is considered an cancerougenous product
petrolbases resins.
you can clean as oft as you want it will not do anythingh

WHAT is the difference??
the waterbase is the most natural and also the most difficult
the stronger you want your textile
the more times you need to repeat the proces of applying it to the textile over and over again BUT in the end your textile stays "unspoiled" you can reinice it and will have again
your natural peace of textile
That is the minuspoint of the 2 others
you apply it and that is it it will sty there  for ever....

mostly in machine lace they will use a polymer which resambles serisine (silk gleu) but again the professional will look towards what is the enduse for the lace. if a special highend marked lace for "haute couture" it deos not matter they willnot clean it afterwards however if you make it for underwear...... well most persons will want to clean it regulary (normaly) there they will use no product at all i know that you are a bit startled now but there they will take an other sort of threads or add some special threads
for makeing it stick and stay like intended.
you are all woman out here so it will be easy to explain
take one of your more fancy BH's
if you have picots on the edges and you take a magnifier and look how it is made you will see that it has no reason stay in shape because in the machine picot is not made like we make a picot so way does it stay anyway like a picot????? because in some of the threads there are thermofixing fibres which stick together when after the machine lace is made just ironing it will make it stay in form and that is moqtly forever
mostly  in all textiles you will find of theses fibres
even in some "100%" pure natural ones
because 100% does not realy mean 100%
it all depends of the origine of the producing country.........

the moral of it all is
do not just look to the finished product and ask yourself what starsh did they use?
but rather start to look what kind of fibers did they use to start from?
Because not all natural fibres can be made strong in the same way........

and as Mrs Sally was mentioning in her analyse of cotton
you have cotton cotton and cotton.....

francis

Sally Schoenberg schreef:
Ordinarily I wouldn't dream of disagreeing with Barbara Underwood, but in the
case of thread, I disagree with her.  I've made Bedfordshire with Brok,
Egyptian, and Finca.  My lace made with Finca was nice and stiff unwashed, but
after rinsing it in water, drying and pressing it, it turned into soft fuzzy
lace.  Rinse lace made with Brok thread in water, dry it and mangle or press
it, and it is as limp as Egyptian.  The main difference between Brok and
Egyptian, I am convinced, is the sizing.  Finca, I think, is an inferior
thread made with short bits of cotton that has been coated with a strong
sizing that is effective only until the first washing.  I don't use Finca at
all anymore.

This is a subject I've been thinking about for awhile.  I wish I knew what the
thread manufacturers use for sizing.  My handweaving books have some receipes
for sizing and I've been thinking I need to do some experiments.  Like
Barbara, I want stiff Bedfordshire.

Sally Schoenberg
Farmington
New Mexico