Thank you Robin, yes I can see what you mean and of course I hadn't thought of that. I have seen that kind of leaf effect in one of my books, not sure which one for sure. I am not sure if my design program has a polar grid on it or not but I have not yet had time or need to try it. I picked up a broken fan a way back and might try re using the sticks over lace, but that is for the future.

I have just completed my napkin lace (the pattern put together using my design program:-) and am going to play over the coming days with the milanese hummingbird dvd and pattern and see if I can achieve an acceptable piece. I am about to make up a few animal pieces to make a cot mobile to take north with us later this year for the new step great granddaughter after her arrival. Rhiannon, what did you use to hang your mobile from please? I was going to do tape and braid pieces but am going to at least have a try at the milanese at this point and maybe manage a couple of pieces in milanese. I have the dolpin pattern from one site and the hummingbird which came with the dvd. The problem I can see with the Dolphin is the holes are much closer together and I dont have any marks to aim me in the right direction first. . I think I had better print out one area in huge and see if I can play and add enough to help me. I dont want to be defeated before I begin, it is such a pretty piece. I will have to see what I manage with the hummingbird first

A medical friend told me that babies see in black and white but as I feel disinclined to make it all up in those colours I am going to put some bright colours in too. The baby wont stay tiny for ever will she.
Sue T Dorset UK

---- Sue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As lots of fans are generally a repeat of a pattern strip, would it be
possible to make up one piece of pattern using part of a half circle on a
design program.---

In theory, this should be quite reasonable. However, it could get rather tricky trying to join the segments. The pinholes may not align readily, and/or the thread paths may not flow correctly to the next piece (threads aiming for the edge will suddenly have to go a different direction when they get to the changeover point). Also, it will look angular instead of curved.

I have, on the other hand, seen patterns like that. I saw a fan made as if each stick was a feather. I can't remember if the feathers overlapped, or were sewn together along their sides. Ulrike Lohr put out a fan pattern that was modular, so you could work different thickness (base to edge) or for different number of sticks. Does anyone have that pattern to hand? I can't remember the name of it.

If your desired look is an angular or segmented fan, then designing a wedge shape and repeating it makes sense. If you're not specifically trying for that look, it's probably easier to use polar graph paper. This is graph paper where the lines are radial (from the center outward) and circular (concentric rings), instead of up-and-down and side-to-side. I believe Steph Peters has a program on her website for creating a polar grid, and maybe Jo Falkink does, too. They're both Arachneans, so I hope they'll chime in with their URLs and more info.

just my 2 cents,
Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA