Hello All,
I have resubscribed to this list after a long absence and I have enjoyed the
discussions very much.  I have recently been able to get my lace supplies out
of mothballs and begin to relearn and I have run into a discrepancy.  I want
to try a Torchon fan pattern in Louise Colgan's book Bobbin Lace Fans and the
pattern includes a gimp. I mostly worked in Buck's Point way back when (and
was a beginner at that!). I noticed that in both Buck's books that I have,
both Pamela Nottingham and Geraldine Stott are quite clear about the gimp
thread always going over the right and under the left of a pair of bobbins
when traveling through the lace. However, in Practical Skills in Bobbin Lace
by Bridget Cook, she states that the gimp should always go under the right and
over the left to prevent the twist being undone.
Now I am wondering if it matters at all, or if the over-right-under-left is
just for point ground and it is done another way in Torchon.  What say all of
you?

TIA,
Elise