>From Brewers Dictionary of Phrase and Fable:

Doiley / Doyley - a small cloth used to cover dessert plates; but originally
it had a much wider meaning. Thus Dryden speaks of “doyley petticoats;” and
Steele, in No. 102 of the Tatler, speaks of his “doiley suit.” The Doyleys
were linen-drapers, No. 346, east corner of Upper Wellington Street, Strand,
from the time of Queen Anne to the year 1850.

Andrea Lamble
in a glorious Cambridge, UK where the croquet set has had an outing this
afternoon!> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: lace@arachne.com> Subject:
[lace] Origin of D'Oyley> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 09:04:04 +0200> > A round lace
or crocheted mat is known as a D'Oyley or as in South Africa as a> doiley.
Does anybody have any idea where the name originated. I would assume> that it
was named after a person by that name but why? I suppose something> along the
lines of a cardigan which was named after Lord Cardigan. Any> ideas?> Jeanette
Fischer, Western Cape, South Africa.> > -> To unsubscribe send email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:> unsubscribe lace
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to> [EMAIL PROTECTED]