Alex's view seems to concur with most of the replies on this subject - I certainly agree.

However, I think that this moving towards machine mounting is part of the changing nature of (bobbin) lacemaking. Traditionally, lace made for sale was made by one person (or several in the case of sectional laces) and then a different person, with good sewing skills, did the mounting; they just didn't have access to sewing machines. As lacemaking moved towards being a leisure activity people still put the 'traditional' value onto the mounting of that lace. Handmade lace itself has moved on a lot in the last couple of decades with a lot more colour and non-traditional threads being used and more and more people are realising that they can make a better job of machine mounting their lace than they can hand stitching it to fabric. All part of lace evolution.

Brenda