On 24 Jun 2008, at 18:09, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At the end the chairwomen came and said "did you have
a good day?" We knew we had done the best of any one but it still dismal, so we said "no it was a disaster". The lady said, "well what do you expect? We
are an  older group and don't really need anything"
So why did they invite you and others to attend???

Any lace day organiser has to try to hit a balance between having enough traders and enough people to make it worthwhile for those traders. One trader per 25-30 people is usually about right, so if you expect to sell 100 tickets 4 traders is ample - and they need to offer a range of goods. Three bobbin makers and a bead stall is not adequate, but neither is it good to have 4 general suppliers all with very similar good on offer. Ideally I'd go for two general traders who offer different threads/patterns, one bobbin maker and the fourth with either beads or books.

Much of the reason for the decline in lace days is due to there being more old lacemakers dropping off the end than there are new ones coming along. Also I think that a lot of people tend to want shopping only - that's where the bigger fairs come in but even they are finding it harder to attract enough traders and customers.

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html