On Jun 26, 2008, at 23:32, Laurie Waters wrote:

Anyone want to hazard a guess if this ebay item 250262902713 is Saba lace?

Could be. The ground stitch (near the hem and surrounding the "star around a circle" elements in the centre) seems -- as far as I can tell from the photo -- to be identical with what's identified as "The First Pattern" (as made by Laurie Hassell) in my little book on Saba lace.

OTOH, the few pictures of finished items which appear in the book seem to point to a tendency of having lace inserted into a bigger body of fabric, while this piece is the other way around -- lots of openwork with just a few bits of solid fabric.

Also, the "star around a circle" elements themselves don't look like any pictured in the book but it's really hard to tell for certain.

Since all I "know"about Saba lace (or any needle-made lace, for that matter) is close to zero, I can't *tell*; all I can do is toss out a few idas for consideration.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/