Hello Sue

I am now at a critical point in our 40th Wedding anniversary napkins which
lots of you gave me ideas for many months ago.  The fabric is ready and
pressed and the lace made (just two more to darn the ends in) and then I am set to add lace to fabric. This particular set is a 4 sided strip design to
go along the inside edge all the way around the fabric, the lace is
approximately one and a quarter inches to lay on top of the fabric close to the edge but headside facing in, not attached to the edge and laying off the
fabric, if you understand what I mean.  Because of the colour it is not
photographing well, but that doesn't matter would only be helpful to explain
my point.
Do you mean the straight foot edge is to be stitched close to the edge of the fabric with the headside unattached and nearer to the centre of the fabric?

My question is, how do I make sure the tension of the lace on the fabric is right so that when attached neither the fabric or the lace will look bunched
in the future.
Both fabric and lace are cotton.
I'd suggest pre-shrinking both fabric and lace and then attach the lace to the fabric. Also turn the hem *after* you have attached the lace. It's always easier to make fabric fit the lace rather than trying to make lace fit pre-hemmed fabric.

Lay the lace over the fabric, pin and tack/baste it in position and then stitch to the lace to the fabric using your chosen stitch. If I have understood the first paragraph correctly I'd oversew the foot edge to the folded edge of the fabric.

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html