Clay,
Thank you so much for your explanations and thoughts on this.  I figured as
much, but just wanted reassurance. I assumed that most of what Williamsburg
and the triangle is all about is the feel of colonial times rather than
bonifide living history. Still a glorious experience! The interpreters
themselves do know their stuff and reenact as such.  It is just the tourist
shops that seem to not take care to correctly protray the colonial
paraphenalia.
If someone was to email me asking about my findings on this subject, can I
use your response to forward to them?  TIA

BTW.....The bobbin is about the length of an unsharpened pencil.  About six
inches long.

Mark, aka Tatman
Www.tat-man.net
Www.tat-man.net