On 7/16/08 10:42 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I went to the "historical folk toys" site and they claim tatting goes back to
> the 16th century.  Here's part of the blurb:
>
> "Tatting may have originated in 16th-century Italy. Tatting resembles macramé,
> which is considered to be one of the oldest types of lace. Examples of this
> kind of lace have been found in Egyptian tombs. Egyptian hieroglyphic texts
> give evidence that the method of manipulating thread with a shuttle (called a
> "makouk") into circles and rings was practiced. This may have been the craft
> that evolved into tatting. Tatting also resembles knotting, which is also made
> with a shuttle. Knotting may have spread from China westward after the Middle
> East was opened by Dutch trade routes."

The description they use is an old one out of many old time books before
they knew more of the history of tatting.  As a friend of mine quoted about
my post regarding this issue:

Quote.......

"The problems is, just because someone says it on the internet, does not
make it true...
The Joshua Reynolds portrait is actually lady "knotting".
Which is a series of knots made on a length of thread (usually precious
metal) that is then couched down onto fabric...
These knots are not flipped but overhand knots and sometimes buillons...
Knotting shuttles are much larger that tatting shuttles and the ends are
open. Often made of golds, bejewelled and for the "gentry" of the
perios to display their welth and busy hands...

It is like the claim years ago that tatting was found in Egyptian
tombs! <eek!> Wrong... A myth that the more it is repeated the harder
it is to correct. :-( This particular piece of lace is Sprang. Made
like the "Cats Cradle" kids do... and it has been accredited to knitting,
crochet and whatever has suited the particular author..."

Unqote..........

> The blurb from historical folk toys goes on to describe paintings from the
> mid-1700s of women with their tatting shuttles.

My sources say these paintings are of jewel encrusted knotting shuttles.
Another myth stated from the old tatting books.

Mark, aka Tatman
Www.tat-man.net