Dear Alice,

Your description of the Kantcentrum reminds me of the happy week I spent there some years ago. I was taking a three-day class with Martine Bruggeman, but since that didn't take all my time while in Bruges I signed up for the "Open Classes." This put me into the large workroom, where you saw all the non-English-speaking women making lace. I was told by my son not to speak French, apparently thinking that the Flemish locals would not want to hear that language, so I kept pretty quiet. (Those who know me well will laugh at that!) I learned that the Open Classes were a sort of local club, sponsored on by the Kantcentrum for a very low fee, at which people could come simply to make lace. The only instruction--and I think this is a super way to handle large classes--was from the teacher sitting in the middle of three chairs along one wall. If you had a question you sat to one side of her and waited until she had finished with the person on her other side, then she answered your question carefully and fully while the next person waited in line. I didn't know it then, but the two teachers that covered the week I was there were the very ones that American (and other) lacemakers travel for miles to meet. And there were there for us, virtually free! It was a great way for the Kantcentrum to have a body of working lacemakers for the traveling public to see at work.

As it turned out, I was the only one in the room who spoke English, so although my lacemaking was pretty basic, I had a constant stream of visitors at my pillow! And once I got to know the other lacemakers in the room they didn't worry about my only speaking French not Flemish, and I had one of the best times in my life. I got to know the local women a bit and got the sense of who lives in Bruges. Plus, I polished a few lacemaking skills.

Thanks for the memories.

Tess