OIDFA Trip Day 14 evening.  Koln

Koln was a surprise.  When you step out of the train station, the cathedral is
facing you.  It shares a central plaza with the train station.

I walked the 3 blocks to my hotel, parked my luggage, and went back to the
cathedral.  After trying several doors, I found the one that was open and took
a look inside.  It's another of the huge cathedrals.

Someone was playing the organ.  Organ pipes are mounted in several areas of the
church so the sound is all around.  I noticed a poster at one point that I
translated to say Free Organ Concerts weekly.  And it gave today's date.
Shortly after that I was urged out because they were closing the doors.  After
finding some dinner, and waiting till 7:30, I went back to the cathedral for
the concert.  The seats were already full, so I sat on a ledge along the
outside wall.  This organist was playing Waggner, Liszt and Bach.  He believed
in running the organ at full blast.  He was good but it was a bit overwhelming.
 His second encore was a very dainty, delightful piece.  It was the best bit of
music of the whole evening.

It was a short visit to Koln. I didn't expect to see anything of the town since
it was just a convenient stopover between the cruise and Groningen.  The
cathedral, and then the concert were certainly bonuses.

My hotel window looked out over the train station.  I could hear the train
announcements at times.

Day 14  Church number 7

Alice in Oregon -- getting ready to set up at county fair