I received the magazine just before going to Hungary and on to The
Netherlands (OIDFA), and believe I wrote to someone (or all on Arachne) about
the
article in the Summer issue of "FiberArts" about The Textile Museum in
Washington
DC "Guidelines for the Care of Textiles", including a list of web  sites to
consult.  It would have been some time around June 19th.

The article "The Fleetingness of Fairy Tales" about Urh Sobocan and  Iva
Sobocan is on pages 44 and 45, with 5 pictures.  Another picture is on  the
Table
of Contents page.  I recommend the article to those interested  in modern
"figural" lace, because of the originality of design coupled with  Iva's
exceptional lace skills.  There is a feeling of motion in the  laces.

Article says Urh has translated lace into paper -- using a laser technique,
he cuts a lace pattern from a special paper.  Some of these are
3-dimensional.  He is quoted as saying the gap between lacework and  his own
illustration
is not as wide as it seems.  "It's a somewhat  different visual language, and
it has its own history, but it's still a  drawing."

Americans and Canadians can probably read the article at their local public
library, if so inclined.  Or, (since "FiberArts" is a specialized
publication) you may be able to have your local library order  it from
InterLibrary Loan.

Jeri  Ames
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 8/3/2008 7:23:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,