Brenda and all,

    Here in the USA, I was advised by my bank teller that using a 'debit card'
was the safest because it is the easiest to cancel if there is a problem
later.  And canceling the debit card does not cancel the account it is linked
to.
    We have 'debit cards' with numbers just like a credit card.  One gives the
vendor the debit card number not the bank account number.  The card is used
just like a credit card but you are not giving the vendor your checking
account number.  I use one like this for ordering drugs through the mail,
etc.

Lorri
Washington State, USA, in the foothills of Mt. Rainier

>>I know that direct debit makes that sort of thing easier but I am very
reluctant to use it for anything other than absolute essentials such as
gas, water, electricity, council tax.

Brenda