Hello All,

I recently bought a copy of Eeva-Lisa Kortelahti's book Bobbin Lace With
Ribbon Gimps, and decided I would like to have a go at it, but only wanted to
try a small pattern, so I managed to get some very fine ribbon to use with
Tanne 30 thread.  In her book she recommends a cylinder of cardboard to wind
the ribbon around, but as mine was going to be just a small mat which needed
three single gimps I decided to wind my ribbon onto spare shuttle bobbins from
my sewing machine.  However, it kept slipping off, so I have helped it to stay
in place by using soft hair bands which are just the right size to slip around
the spools.  I am sure some people will not approve, as the bands I have are a
bit fluffy, and it might get into the lace, but I have had no problems so far.
Also I think it only works because I don't need much ribbon on each, but it
makes my pillow even prettier!  If anyone would like to see a photo of it in
progress, just let me know!  It's great fun experimenting, isn't it?

Dee Palin
Warwickshire