Jenny wrote:
<In one of my web walks I saw a photo of a tally aid - it was a elongated
triangular piece of plastic with 4 slots in it,>

It's not only keeping the threads apart, for which I've tried several things, but keeping the tension on the passive threads. I can't feel the tension. In straight stitches such as whole stitch, I can only gauge the tension of both the passives and workers by sight. Even with something as thick (relatively) as Madeira Tanne 50, it's not unusual for me to find I have a bobbin in my hand with a broken thread attached, purely because I've no idea how much/little tension I've put on it.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK