Hello Wendy

I am making an edging, the book says to use DMC Cotton Perle 8 with DMC 80 Cordonnet Special. Well I have the Perle but didn't have any Cordonnet, so I have used Venus 70 instead. My problem is that it is very hard work as they
seem to be fighting each other by that I mean that tensioning is very
difficult as they don't slide if that is the right word. I have also
substituted the Perle for double Venus for the outer fan edging so I could
have the right colour.

Venus is very similar to DMC Cordonnet - it's a tad thicker than Cordonnet 80, more like Cordonnet 70, but both are double plied, 2S/3Z.

Is your problem with all the bobbins or just with the pairs wound double?.

If it's all the bobbins - are you used to using double plied thread such as DMC Cordonnet, Special Dentelles, Coats crochet and Venus crochet? This type of thread is firmer and rounder than single plied thread and doesn't squash together as much. If your problem is only with the bobbins wound double it could be that one of the threads was tensioned more than the other when the bobbin was wound.

Is there a tip so that I can ensure this doesn't happen when I try to use substitute threads. If only we had the money to get the correct threads each time. I am slowly building up my thread library so fingers crossed in the
next 30 years I might have the right ones each time LOL.

In 30 years time it's quite likely that most of the threads around today will be discontinued, your stash will be vintage and the patterns will require something not yet available! Nothing is set in stone, experiment with what you have and get to know how the different types of thread work up and in time you will know what you like and what you don't.

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html