Oh, oh, me, me, I bet I know what that is!!! It's a distaff - the thing that women (you know, "distaff side ...") use to hold
the fiber they're spinning so they have two hands free to spin with.

If this is in fact an artifact of the silk industry, it would be holding the broken fibers that make up "spun silk" ;-)

Oh, oh, and I just looked at the other things. Wow!!! I bet those are spindles - for spinning the silk. Probably not drop spindles,
but supported spindles.

Oh, they are nifty!! And no, I will not be tempted ... (pause while I repeat that 50 times to make sure it sticks)!!!

As for the lace connection -- these don't look to be suited for high volume production. More like low volume, careful, precise production-- as would be suited for lace. But then again, it could be for the Lady filling up her idle moments and showing off her lovely hands spinning up some silk that she will then wind on her lovely big knotting shuttle to make some knotted silk -- again showing off her lovely hands -- which she will then couch onto a piece of silk in artful fashion -- again demonstrating her skill, taste, idleness, and ... lovely hands.

Thank you, Jean, for finding and sharing! You've made my morning bright here in cloudy Virginia!

Su